“You don’t owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don’t owe it to your mother, you don’t owe it to your children, you don’t owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked “female”.”—Erin McKean, from “You Don’t Have to be Pretty" (via coffeeqveen)
“1. there is going to be a day or two or three where nothing goes right and it seems like everyone is against you, do not forget that you can crawl in bed and take a break from the world for a little while, tomorrow will be better and you will be okay.
2. there is going to be a boy who tells you that you are the moon and who will make your heart race every time his skin touches yours, do not forget that you are not his, if he kisses you and makes you cry you are allowed to run away. people come and go and you will be okay.
3. there is going to be a girl with wolf teeth who rips out your heart and cuts at your throat, you will love her because she is everything you are not and you will hate her because she is everything you could be, do not forget that her bones are made of stardust like yours, everyone is a little lost and you will be okay.
4. green should be the color of plants and not people, do not envy the girl with dead eyes and flushed cheeks who sleeps in the beds of boys you dream of, she is a small human just like you and she gets lonely and angry and afraid sometimes too.
5. cocaine makes you sad so that you lust to do more, love does that too. do not play with matches if you are standing in dry grass. do not fall in love if you are not ready to burn.”—things that i’ve picked up on throughout my small life (via mrs-enjolras)
“Nineteen things I’ve learned before I turned nineteen.
1. Always carry $5 and a lighter with you (even if you don’t smoke).
2. Ask every person you meet how their day is going. Genuinely ask with the soul intention of learning how their day is. Ask the coffee shop employee. Ask the person next to you in line at Walmart. Ask your distant friend. Ask everyone.
3. Take many photos of yourself. Take photos of yourself when you’re happy. Take photos of yourself when you’re sad. Take photos of yourself because there are millions of trees in the world, and we all look at the same sky, but there is only one of you.
4. Stay in contact with your parents. Try not to hate them. They are the reason you have the ability to feel anything at all. Try not to hate your parents.
5. Opening your skin will not set your demons free. Open your heart. Open your mind. Open your hands.
6. Nobody knows anybody completely. That’s okay.
7. Be gentle, but be aggressive. Take a stand. Nobody hears your voice if you stay silent.
8. Respect everybody. We are all humans trying to survive. We all deserve respect.
9. Wearing black will ALWAYS make you feel better about yourself.
10. Always give tips, whether it be a couple extra dollars or a piece of mind. You never know how much you could be helping someone.
11. Change is the only thing consistent in life. Do not allow that bother you. Embrace chance and move with life, whichever direction it chooses to take you.
12. Smile often. Smile at strangers. Smile at your friends. Smile when nobody is looking and you’re alone in your bedroom. Smile when somebody is rambling to you.
13. Body image means nothing. Your body is merely just a seatbelt in the car. Your body is here to protect you. You choose the direction you go, and your body will not hold you back. Only you can hold yourself back.
14. Don’t hold grudges. Don’t allow yourself to hate anybody. Forgive them. Learn to love them for the person you never got to see them to be. Believe that a beautiful human exists in that person. Wish them well.
15. Drink orange juice. Lots of it.
16. Don’t allow the opinions of others to choose your destiny. We are all simply trying to live our own life.
17. Sing all the time. Sing off key. Sing in a silly voice. Sing like you’re on stage. Sing no matter who is around. Singing is breathing for the soul. Sing.
18. Take time to think. Write your feelings down. Write letters to the people you love. Texting is overrated and not as heartfelt as a nice handwritten letter.
19. Live for yourself. Breathe for yourself. Do everything in your life for nobody but you. This is your life. This is it.”—